ERA/O troubles (a crashed adapter) - remote flash

Neil list-linux-poweredge--dell.com at iamafreeman.com
Mon Oct 4 11:40:01 CDT 2004

I give no warranty and I'm not sure this will work if you card is really up
the spout but...

I flash ERA/0's on 2650's remotely using PowerEdge::RAC and a tftp server

and the following (based on the script that comes with PowerEdge::RAC)

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

eval 'exec /usr/bin/perl -w -S $0 ${1+"$@"}'
    if 0; # not running under some shell
use strict;
use PowerEdge::RAC qw(prompt);

my ($host, $user, $pass, $ip, $dir) = ('') x 5;

print 'Example script to update the firmware on a RAC card.'. "\n";

if ($ARGV[0]) {
  $host=$ARGV[0];
} else {
$host = prompt('Enter the RAC card\'s IP address : ','192.168.254.70');
}
$host = "192.168.254.$host" unless $host =~ /\./;

$user ||= 'root';
$pass ||= 'calvin';

my $server = new PowerEdge::RAC(
      host => $host,
      user => $user,
      password => $pass,
);

my ($def_ip, $def_dir);
print 'Getting defaults from the RAC ...'."\n";
my $c = $server->config('TFTP_ADDR_FIRMWARE', 'TFTP_FIRMWARE_FILE');
$ip  = '192.168.254.1';
$dir = '/racfirmware/';

my $h = $server->sysinfo('Host Name') || 'no set';
warn "\nStarting RAC firmware update on $host (name: $h) now!\n";
warn "Press Ctrl-c within five seconds to abort\n";

$| = 1;
for (1..5) { print "."; sleep 1; };

print "\n". 'Updating firmware'. "\n";
print 'Transfering image ..';