Change "root" password on RAC for PE 2650

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Fri Oct 1 17:23:01 CDT 2004

Tim_T_Murphy at dell.com wrote:
>>I tried installing the racadm rpm and using the commands,
>>but all I get are error messages about
>>
>>	"transport failed"
>>

> maybe dumb questions, but: you are using -r<host> as the 1st racadm
> argument?
> can you ping the host?

Tim, not a dumb question at all.  I installed the racadm rpm on the host
where the RAC device was and I thought the racadm card would talk to the
RAC over the PCI bus.   Seeing as how all the documentation I found gave
exact command lines to run (and never mentioned the "-r IP-ADDRESS -u
USER -p PASSWORD" options )

I successfully changed the RAC card password by doing the following:
(note, that the default user=root password=calvin)

root# racadm -r 10.1.1.1 -u root -p calvin getconfig -g cfgUserAdmin -i1
# cfgUserAdminIndex=1
cfgUserAdminUserName=root
cfgUserAdminPrivilege=0
cfgUserAdminAlertFilterRacEventMask=0x300000
cfgUserAdminAlertFilterSysEventMask=0x77777
cfgUserAdminPageNumericEnable=0
cfgUserAdminPageNumericNumber=
cfgUserAdminPageNumericMessage=SE
cfgUserAdminPageNumericHangupDelay=0x0
cfgUserAdminPageAlphaEnable=0
cfgUserAdminPageAlphaNumber=
cfgUserAdminPageAlphaProtocol=8N1
cfgUserAdminPageAlphaBaudRate=0x4b0
cfgUserAdminPageAlphaCustomMsg=
cfgUserAdminPageAlphaModemConnectTimeout=0x3c
cfgUserAdminPageAlphaPagerId=
cfgUserAdminPageAlphaPassword=
cfgUserAdminEmailEnable=0
cfgUserAdminEmailAddress=
cfgUserAdminEmailCustomMsg=
cfgUserAdminPageModemInitString=AT+GCI=B5
cfgUserAdminPageModemPort=0x1
cfgUserAdminType=0x3

root# racadm -r 10.1.1.1 -u root -p calvin config \
-g cfgUserAdmin -o cfgUserAdminPassword -i 1 newpassword

Then I could run:

racadm -r 10.1.1.1 -u root -p newpassword getsysinfo

and it works,  I also tested the web interface to validate
the password was changed.

The following docs (if there is anyone from dell reading this)
should be changed, just search for "cfgUserAdminPassword" in
the documents and you will see that the sample commands shown
in the documents do not explain that you should use the
full command lines I have shown above.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/power/en/ps2q03_wang?c=us&l=en&s=corp

http://ftp1.us.dell.com/dmi/racread_fr_bm.txt