remote access to pe2850

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at parallab.uib.no
Fri Oct 1 12:46:01 CDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 10:16:46AM -0500, Tim_T_Murphy at Dell.com wrote:
> for ipmitool:
> - use args: -Ilan -H<BMC-LAN-IP> -U<BMC-user> ...
> - if ipmitool 1.6.0 fails, try using ipmitool 1.5.9
>   (a 1.6.0 patch is forthcoming)

I just tried to poll the power-status with ipmitool against our
PE1850, and immediately lost connection to it. I though I had crashed
the box, but then the connection came back again a few minutes later.
I think this might have to do with the MAC-address of the nic vs the
IPMI/BMC mac address, and the switch getting confused with two MACs
talking on the same port. Right?

Am I supposed to set the IPMI/BMC mac address manually to the same as
the active nic?

What about the security of this IPMI? At the moment it's set up to not
route traffic out of its subnet, but ... that's a bit limiting. Are
there ways to route traffic out of subnet, while still having a limit
on who can talk to it (ipfilter)?

  -jf