remote access to pe2850

Neil list-linux-poweredge--dell.com at iamafreeman.com
Fri Oct 1 06:27:01 CDT 2004

Tim,

Many thanks for this,

I see that console access works without the drac card. I presume it works
without the era card on 2650's to if I connected to com2 (and didn't have the
era grabbing com2). Then I could get a serial switch and connect to that via
ssh.

I'm a little confused by this RMCP/IPMI stuff

Can I power the system on/off regardless of the operating systems state?
(similar to racadm's serveraction hardreset)  How to I connect to it?

I currently use the era remotely to setup bios / raid bios and then use
dhcp/tftp to build the server (I think raid bios menus rely on video
redirection?)

I also do reboots remotely

I presume without the drac I don't get video buffer access (and I presume with
it I would?)

I liked the power solution acticles about remote access / era cards, perhaps
there will be some about this one day soon?

Neil