bad pte Stuart_Hayes at
Tue Jun 1 10:20:01 CDT 2004

The bad pte message is not your problem.  This message is only cosmetic, and will occur on every boot--it happens when Linux is scanning the APICs and re-mapping the same virtual memory address to several different possible APIC addresses.

A patch was applied to later kernels (RHEL3 doesn't display these messages) that prevents this message from occurring.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-admin at
[mailto:linux-poweredge-admin at]On Behalf Of Lisa Preston
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 9:15 AM
To: linux-poweredge at
Subject: bad pte

I have a 2650 with RH linux 2.1.  The system locked up completely on me
so I had to shut it down and reboot it.  I was looking through my log
files and I am seeing a line in my message log file that says bad pte
c0004fb0.  I am seeing things that say that is bad memory.  Is that true?

Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge at
Please read the FAQ at or search the list archives at