SCSI Errors

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Jan 7 09:05:00 CST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Shane Williams wrote:

>We've got a brand new 2650 and just this week we had a SCSI error pop
>up.  From /var/log/messages:
>
>Jan  5 18:24:04 fiat kernel: SCSI disk error : host 2 channel 0 id 0
>lun 0 return code = 8000002
>Jan  5 18:24:04 fiat kernel: Info fld=0x2d5dfe5, Current sd08:05:
>sense key Hardware Error
>Jan  5 18:24:04 fiat kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:05, sector 14701864
>
>It's only appeared once and I've seen no other SCSI errors, but given
>that the machine's only been running for two weeks, it worries me that
>I'm seeing it at all.  How concerned should I be over such an error?

75% concerned. You should run dedicated diagnostic utils (Dell's own,
Hitachi DFT etc.) to try to reproduce the error, or if you can't afford
the downtime, "dd < /dev/sdx > /dev/null" is better than nothing.

I've seen SCSI errors which diags can't find, and which disappear after
firmware and driver updates, but with a shiny new server you're probably
current.

Cheers,
Phil