updating PERC3/Di Firmware for PE2650

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Tue Jan 6 17:05:01 CST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Jatinder Shoker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On the Dell support site there are two files for the PERC3/Di Firmware. One
> says SCSI RAID[FRMW] and the other says SCSI RAID[APP].  I know the first
> one is used to create a floppy or Windows Update Package. The second one is
> for Linux api, CLI and snmp. If I am going to be installing  RHEL ES 2.1
> what should I be using? Also what is the correct method of applying the
> firmware updates before the OS is installed?

if you apply the firmware it is irrelevant what OS you are running.  it's
below the OS level.

the application software _should_ work on RHEL 2.1 but may not be officially
supported on that platform (you'll need to check this) due to the chronology
of releases (e.g may have been out before 2.1 was).

there is no particular correct method - you could just follow the documentation
that comes with the firmware.  if you are being careful (paranoid? :) you could
remove the disks from the machine while doing the upgrade and make sure the
machine is on a UPS so you don't lose power in the middle of a erase/flash
operation..

regards,

-jason