LVM on-line resizing RHEL AS 3

Gelwarg, Adam agelwarg at ingdirect.com
Fri Apr 30 17:20:53 CDT 2004

RHEL AS 3.0 now incorporates LVM which is great.  However, RH only
(officially) supports the ext2/3 filesystems in RHEL.  Since the
supported kernels do not include the patch for online resizing of ext2/3
filesystems, and they have dropped support for reiserfs, I don't see any
way of resizing filesystems online.  We want the flexibility of resizing
any/all filesystems without having to take them off-line, and it doesn't
appear possible.

Red Hat is pushing the GFS filesystem since their acquisition of
Sistina, but there are 2 problems with this.  1) it's an additional
(hefty) cost per server and 2) it can not yet be used during
installation (kickstart)

SLES out of the box obviously pushes reiserfs as the default FS, which
has supported on-line resizing (with LVM) as long as I can remember.

Am I missing something?  Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Adam Gelwarg

ING DIRECT | Adam.Gelwarg at ingdirect.com
<mailto:Adam.Gelwarg at ingdirect.com>

This email may contain confidential or privileged information. If you believe you have received the message in error, please notify the sender and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.