PowerEdge 2650 lockup - hard reboot required

George Bagley george.bagley at redeye.com
Fri Apr 30 17:15:00 CDT 2004

Hi

I would recommend downloading and installing the latest advanced server
kernel (2.4.9e40) as this includes the latest drivers for both the onboard
RAID, the Perc RAID controllers and the tg3 drivers.

How much RAM is in the machine?  If there is 4GB or less use the smp kernel
as there is some overhead in the enterprise kernel.

I would also check /var/log/messages for any information prior to the crash,
check the oracle alert log for any information prior to the crash and I
would also set up a netdump server.

The documentation for installing and configuring netdump is available on the
redhat site.

And make sure the machine boots into a text console by modifying
/etc/inittab

George