PERC3-DI Raid 5 Jason_Mick at
Tue Apr 27 13:12:00 CDT 2004

The rebuild time is hard to measure.  It depends on the activity of the
server at the time of failure/rebuild.  I would guess about 3-4 hours
with the server at minimal use.

As far as the drive...  The short answer is: Yes, if you purchase a
drive from Dell with the intent to upgrade the server the drive is now
covered under the warranty that is on the server.  I would recommend
that you keep your order number that you purchased the drive on so that
the technician with Dell knows the drive came from us and it is not a
third party drive.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Brown [mailto:dell at]
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 12:59 PM
To: Mick, Jason; linux-poweredge at
Subject: RE: PERC3-DI Raid 5

Any idea or rough estimate how long it takes to rebuild a drive? They
are 73
GB 10k RPM drives on a 3 GHz Xeon with 1.5 GB ram. I am assuming the
is automatic, correctly me if I am wrong.

Also not sure if anyone knows the answer to this as it is more a sales /
warranty issue. If I were to buy an identical 4th drive to the 3 that
currently in my system (that is covered by a 3 years, 4 hour parts and
support contract), does this drive get the same support if it were to
or would it have its own support contract that may be next day