PERC3-DI Raid 5

Ryan Brown dell at
Tue Apr 27 12:58:01 CDT 2004

Any idea or rough estimate how long it takes to rebuild a drive? They are 73
GB 10k RPM drives on a 3 GHz Xeon with 1.5 GB ram. I am assuming the rebuild
is automatic, correctly me if I am wrong.

Also not sure if anyone knows the answer to this as it is more a sales /
warranty issue. If I were to buy an identical 4th drive to the 3 that are
currently in my system (that is covered by a 3 years, 4 hour parts and labor
support contract), does this drive get the same support if it were to fail
or would it have its own support contract that may be next day replacement.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason_Mick at [mailto:Jason_Mick at]
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 1:51 PM
To: dell at; linux-poweredge at
Subject: RE: PERC3-DI Raid 5

1. Yes you could lose more then one drive if the hotspare had the time
to complete the rebuild before the next drive fell off line.
As an Example: Let say that drive 0 fell off line.  Drive 3 would jump
in and rebuild taking over for drive 0.  If drive 2 failed prior to the
rebuild completing on drive 3 then the server would fail.  You cannot
lose more then one drive in a RAID 5 set.

2. As far as setting this up with out losing data.  Yes you can.  Either
by using the AFACLI or by using the control-a bios utility.

In my experience if you have more then one drive fail in a short period
of time like over a weekend then there is something more then just a
drive at fault.