PERC3/Di failure workaround hypothesis

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Apr 26 14:16:01 CDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:10:36AM -0500, Sellek, Greg wrote:
> Short of ordering a Perc4 for every 2650 that I want to upgrade to RH
> ES, is there anything else I can do to get around the Perc3/Di problem?

Our working hypothesis for a workaround is to do as follows:

In afacli, set:

Read Cache: enabled
Write Cache: enabled when protected

Then unplug the ROMB battery.  A reboot is not necessary.  The
firmware will immediately drop into Write-Through Cache mode, which in
our testing has not exhibited the problem.  Setting the write cache to
disabled in afacli doesn't seem to help - you've got to unplug the
battery with it in the above settings.

We are continuing to search for the root cause to the problem, and
will update the list when we can.

Thanks,
Matt

--