No PERC4 for PowerEdge 2650?

Kevin Merritt Kevin.Merritt at
Sun Apr 25 22:25:00 CDT 2004

I too am interested in others perspectives on software vs. hardware
RAID, but thought that I would share that for whatever reason, you can
only order a 2650 with a PERC/3 from the small business "side" of Dell's
site, but you can configure a 2650 with PERC/4 from the medium-to-large
business side. Alternatively, you can configure a 2650 from the small
biz side with no PERC card and then add a PERC/4 from "Software and

In our experience, no matter what else you do, you should avoid the
PERC/3. It simply under-performs, even relative to software RAID.