Problem bringing PE1600SC to live again.

Rien.Otterman Rien.Otterman at skynet.be
Sat Apr 24 10:37:01 CDT 2004

Daniel,

First off thanks for the response.

It seems to happen all the time, but if I don't wait for a couple of minutes switching the machine on a second time doesn't even bring up the leds on the power and the CD anymore. In that case really nothing seems to happen.

In your case the problem seems to be with the batteries used by the bios to keep the non-volatile memory stored. This seems not to be my problem I think as this would mean that the problem would not have started while the machine is running.

Does any-one have an idea what the symptoms are of a CPU failure. Would it just not boot but power up the various fans in the system.

I assume that the way the system boots is that it starts with a sort of inventory in the bios code that makes an inventory from all available hardware and what to do with it. What happens if one or both CPU's fail the test isn't clear. Would it just stop then and there, or would it give beeps to identify the problem? Would it just start the fans system cooling anyway.

This seems to be a very hard to diagnose problem, but assuming that some-one else has had problems with the CPU before perhaps they could let me know the symptoms so I can eliminate it from the list of possible problems.

Thanks

Rien Otterman

Otterman Coxhead & Partners BV