Hard drive detection order

Thu Apr 22 09:03:01 CDT 2004

Just pull the 220s off during install and make sure
that the modules.conf has aacraid above megaraid
scsi_hostadapter entries and then remake your initrd
with mkinitrd.  Reattach the pv220 and then everything
will be fine.
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-admin at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-admin at dell.com] On Behalf Of Brian Smith
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 8:33 AM
To: Kiran Thyagaraja
Cc: linux-poweredge at dell.com; linux-poweredge-admin at dell.com
Subject: Re: Hard drive detection order

I think you need to go into the Perc 3/DC BIOS and disable the BIOS,
leaving only the Perc 3/Di BIOS active.   Because you don't want to boot
off the Perc 3/DC, you do not need BIOS support on that controller.
Linux
should still detect the Perc 3/DC on the PCI BUS and allow access to the
disks in the array.

                    Kiran Thyagaraja

                    <kiran at UH.EDU>              To:
linux-poweredge at dell.com
                    Sent by:                    cc:

                    linux-poweredge-admi        Subject:     Hard drive
detection order
                    n at dell.com

                    04/22/2004 08:32 AM

Hello,
We have a PV200S directly attached to a PE2650 through a Perc 3DC with
about 700GBs of RAID 5. The 2650 also comes with an internal (infamous)
Perc 3Di card for RAID 0 on 2 internal disks. The problem we are having
is while installing Rocks cluster dist (I understand its based on RHEL
3), the anaconda installer detects the external RAID first, thus
assigning it /dev/sda and the internal RAID becomes /dev/sdb. This
causes several headaches while installing the OS. The installer by
default prefers /dev/sda to install the OS image.

I checked the hard drive detection order in the BIOS and Perc 3DC is
listed last after the Perc 3Di.

Has anyone noticed anthing like this before? Am I missing something
obvious here? If not, how can I reverse the HD detection order?

TIA.

Kiran