Hard drive detection order

Brian Smith BSmith at lyrix.com
Thu Apr 22 08:33:01 CDT 2004

I think you need to go into the Perc 3/DC BIOS and disable the BIOS,
leaving only the Perc 3/Di BIOS active.   Because you don't want to boot
off the Perc 3/DC, you do not need BIOS support on that controller.   Linux
should still detect the Perc 3/DC on the PCI BUS and allow access to the
disks in the array.

                    Kiran Thyagaraja
                    <kiran at UH.EDU>              To:     linux-poweredge at dell.com
                    Sent by:                    cc:
                    linux-poweredge-admi        Subject:     Hard drive detection order
                    n at dell.com

                    04/22/2004 08:32 AM

Hello,
We have a PV200S directly attached to a PE2650 through a Perc 3DC with
about 700GBs of RAID 5. The 2650 also comes with an internal (infamous)
Perc 3Di
card for RAID 0 on 2 internal disks. The problem we are having is while
installing Rocks cluster dist (I understand its based on RHEL 3), the
anaconda
installer detects the external RAID first, thus assigning it /dev/sda
and the
internal RAID becomes /dev/sdb. This causes several headaches while
installing the
OS. The installer by default prefers /dev/sda to install the OS image.

I checked the hard drive detection order in the BIOS and Perc 3DC is listed
last after the Perc 3Di.

Has anyone noticed anthing like this before? Am I missing something obvious
here? If not, how can I reverse the HD detection order?

TIA.

Kiran