Hard drive detection order

Brian Smith BSmith at lyrix.com
Thu Apr 22 08:33:01 CDT 2004

I think you need to go into the Perc 3/DC BIOS and disable the BIOS,
leaving only the Perc 3/Di BIOS active.   Because you don't want to boot
off the Perc 3/DC, you do not need BIOS support on that controller.   Linux
should still detect the Perc 3/DC on the PCI BUS and allow access to the
disks in the array.

                    Kiran Thyagaraja
                    <kiran at UH.EDU>              To:     linux-poweredge at dell.com
                    Sent by:                    cc:
                    linux-poweredge-admi        Subject:     Hard drive detection order
                    n at dell.com
                    04/22/2004 08:32 AM

We have a PV200S directly attached to a PE2650 through a Perc 3DC with
about 700GBs of RAID 5. The 2650 also comes with an internal (infamous)
Perc 3Di
card for RAID 0 on 2 internal disks. The problem we are having is while
installing Rocks cluster dist (I understand its based on RHEL 3), the
installer detects the external RAID first, thus assigning it /dev/sda
and the
internal RAID becomes /dev/sdb. This causes several headaches while
installing the
OS. The installer by default prefers /dev/sda to install the OS image.

I checked the hard drive detection order in the BIOS and Perc 3DC is listed
last after the Perc 3Di.

Has anyone noticed anthing like this before? Am I missing something obvious
here? If not, how can I reverse the HD detection order?

Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge at dell.com