Hard drive detection order

Shaw, Marco Marco.Shaw at aliant.ca
Thu Apr 22 08:15:00 CDT 2004

This depends on the order found in /etc/modules.conf for all
'alias scsi_hostadapter' entries.

Example:
/etc/modules.conf

Alias scsi_hostadapter aacraid
Alias scsi_hostadapter1 qla2x00

In the above example, whatever is attached to the on-board
SCSI controller will get /dev/sda, and whatever is attached
to the Qlogic fiber card will get /dev/sdb.

RHEL 3.0 comes packaged with 'devlabel' which is a work-around
to this "problem" if you cannot configure modules.conf to
your requirements.

Marco