Hard drive detection order

Kiran Thyagaraja kiran at UH.EDU
Thu Apr 22 08:04:00 CDT 2004

Hello,
We have a PV200S directly attached to a PE2650 through a Perc 3DC with
about 700GBs of RAID 5. The 2650 also comes with an internal (infamous)
Perc 3Di
card for RAID 0 on 2 internal disks. The problem we are having is while
installing Rocks cluster dist (I understand its based on RHEL 3), the
anaconda
installer detects the external RAID first, thus assigning it /dev/sda
and the
internal RAID becomes /dev/sdb. This causes several headaches while
installing the
OS. The installer by default prefers /dev/sda to install the OS image.

I checked the hard drive detection order in the BIOS and Perc 3DC is listed
last after the Perc 3Di.

Has anyone noticed anthing like this before? Am I missing something obvious
here? If not, how can I reverse the HD detection order?

TIA.

Kiran