get hard drive type

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Mon Apr 19 17:46:01 CDT 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Trevor Marshall wrote:

> I have recently come under control of many PowerEdge servers of varying age, mostly 2650's, all running RedHat linux. I'm trying to document the H/W specs on these and can get PERC controller info etc from OpenManage. I can't however, determine the hard drive type.. have looked everywhere in OM and /proc, and I'm sure I've been able to find this out in the past on Linux boxes with hardware RAID... but cannot.
> any suggestions greatly appreciated.

what level of information are you trying to get ?

you can't get (AFAIK) the disk info from the
openmanage interface.  you need to use the
afacli (for PERC X/Xi) or the megamon (?) for
the PERC X/{S,D,Q}C.

even then about the only information i can
get out is the drive size.

if you are after vendor id, drive serial numbers
or firmware you may have to go into the controller
bios :-/

if you are *not* using hardware raid then this
information becomes available directly to linux
but the raid controller masks all of this (which
is why you're not seeing anything in /proc)

>From a Dell box with a PERC controller:

# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DELL     Model: PERCRAID Mirror  Rev: V1.0
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

>From a Dell box with software raid:

# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: FUJITSU  Model: MAN3184MC        Rev: 5508
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03

regards,

-jason