PERC3/Di replacement

Peter Smith peter.smith at utsouthwestern.edu
Mon Apr 19 14:29:00 CDT 2004

I feel your pain with regards to the Dell website.  8(

This is the first time in a long time I've seen any out-right updates as
far as the _driver_ goes.  I've seen the PERCs fail at BIOS and also
while in Linux.  I've seen them fail with and without load.  They just
seem to start self-destructing, especially when your hardware is over a
year old.  I just stopped using them--it was way too much hassle.
(Although I have a few using PERC3/Di's which haven't displayed any
problems, but then again they may be still using the magic 2.4.9 kernel
series, i.e. very old.)

Peter