Which distribution should I use ?

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Mon Apr 19 07:23:01 CDT 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, David ROBERT wrote:

> I don't want Fedora because it's not made to
> be used on production servers. I don't want
> RHEL because I don't agree with RedHat licences

Is that a personal decision or a corporate one ?

> We are thinking about using Debian Woody or
> Mandrake Linux.

Either would work on this hardware.

> I'm a little bit "cold" about the RedHat storie

which story is that ?

> and I think that debian sould be the good choice
> for continuation point of view.

Debian is indeed a very nice linux distribution.

> My questions are :
> - Is debian Woody Ok with dell PowerEdge servers,
> I mean : RAID support, NetWork support, OpenManage ?
> - Is MandrakeLinux Ok with dell PowerEdge servers,
> I mean : RAID support, NetWork support, OpenManage ?
>
> Or, RHEL is really the only "sure" solution ?

RHEL is the only Linux OS _supported_ by Dell.  So there
are two separate questions

o will my dell hardware work with debian or mandrake ? very likely

o will dell software work out of the box (e.g openmanage)
  or dell support provide me with support for my debian
  or mandrake installation ? very unlikely.

and of course - can you support yourself or get third party
support - quite possibly, but that is your individual
comfort factor.

regards,

-jason