New server spec

Peter Johnson peter at thejohnsons.com.au
Sun Apr 18 23:40:01 CDT 2004

Try to keep the specs of the dev box as close to production as you can.
So if production is a dual cpu box runing a RAID 1 disk config then it
the dev box should be the same. The same goes for the OS. That doesn't
mean that the speeds need to be the same and in some respects it is
worth having it a notch below, not only for price but also because
production will always have a slightly high maximum capacity than the
load testing values on the dev box return. Think of it as headroom.

What sort of dev will they be doing?
Which database will you be running? How much data will be stored in it?

RH runs a utility called up2date which operates with the RHN (Red Hat
Network), subscription is usually purchased with the software for 1 or 3
years. There are also free versions available but I can't think of their
names off the top of my head.