New server spec

Matthew Joyce MJoyce at
Sun Apr 18 22:19:01 CDT 2004

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I am now considering the following...

PE2650, 3Ghz, 1Gb, 2 x 73GB SCSI
RedHat Enterprise Server 3

Probably with an adaptec U160 and some sort of DLT drive.

I'm unfamilier with RH, how are security patches and OS updates handled

Is there an evivilant to Debain 'apt-get update', 'apt-get upgrade' ?

Matt Joyce
Children's Cancer Institute Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-admin at
[mailto:linux-poweredge-admin at] On Behalf Of Matthew Joyce
Sent: Thursday, 15 April 2004 1:43 PM
To: linux-poweredge at
Subject: New server spec

I'm looking to buy a dell server to run Redhat 9 (our developers
preferred platform for app).

Which version of RH do I need to use for a database/web server ?

Professional ?

I'm thinking a PE1750, with mirrored 36gb drives, 3ghz, 1gb.

Any comments ?

Children's Cancer Institute Australia

Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge at
Please read the FAQ at or search the list
archives at