Monitoring PERC3/4 using megaraid2

Tom Brown tom.brown at goodtechnology.com
Fri Apr 16 09:27:01 CDT 2004

Hi,

I have got my systems up and runnning now using the megaraid2 driver so i
can monitor stuff from /proc

However as i don't have a test system to hand can anyone tell me what
happens when a drive dies? Is it marked as offline?
Currently i'm using the following

$cat /proc/megaraid/hba3/diskdrives-ch0 | grep "Online" >>
/home/monitor/disk-status.txt

and that txt file fills up with....

Channel: 0 Id: 0 State: Online.
Channel: 0 Id: 1 State: Online.
Channel: 0 Id: 2 State: Online.
Channel: 0 Id: 3 State: Online.
Channel: 0 Id: 4 State: Online.
Channel: 0 Id: 5 State: Online.
Channel: 0 Id: 8 State: Online.
Channel: 0 Id: 9 State: Online.

etc - what i need to know though is the string that gets displayed whe a
drive dies - I guess 'Offline' but i'd like it if anyone can confim that or
tell me what the actual string is.
I can then monitor for the presence of that string and alarm if it is there.

thanks

Tom