Strange disk behavior on pe1650 with perc3/di

kuba c linuxuse2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 15:40:02 CDT 2004

Hi all,

We have pe1650 with RAID and 3 x 36 GB drives. The box
is running Debian with 2.2.25.
I downloaded and installed afacli utility for RH 7.3
(works fine with debian).
The problem is command "disk list" shows one of the
drives as being "Offline" or sometimes doesn't show it
at all.

Command "enclosure show slot" shows all 3 slots'
status as "OK UNCONFIG ACTIVATE".

I found in google that "controller rescan" and
"controller reset_scsi_bus 0" might help. I tried it,
but it didn't change anything :-(.

We tried to swap drives and put drive from slot #2
(that one was  "bad") in slot #3 and vice versa.
Nothing changed... all slots still show up as "OK
UNCONFIG ACTIVATE" and the drive that now resides in
slot #3 is still "offline" in "disk list".

The drive itself is ok. When we put it in dell 1550
without RAID it worked fine... we were able to create
partition, format and mount it.

Drive is ok, slots are ok (other drives work in any
slot)... so.... WTF (sorry, but I'm frustrated) is
wrong ???

Please help !!!

BTW where is good documentation (with examples) for
afacli  ???

thanks in advance
Kuba