Recommendation for gigabit NIC

nelson18@llnl.gov nelson18 at llnl.gov
Wed Apr 14 16:14:01 CDT 2004

On 14-Apr-2004 Pottinger, Hardy J. wrote:
> Hi, we're looking to add a gigabit NIC to a couple PowerEdge 4400s.
> We'll be ordering from Dell, and I want to stick with either Intel or
> Broadcom. There's a great deal on Broadcom cards (hmmm, I wonder why?),
> but I'm leaning more towards Intel. Anyone have any advice regarding
> these contenders?
>
> Intel Pro/1000 MT
> Intel PRO/1000 XT
> Broadcom NetXtreme10/100/1000

Don't get the Broadcom.  We've had numerous problems with it that
are hardware related (i.e. not fixable via drivers)

Scott Nelson

---

Scott D. Nelson            B543  Rm2236    3-1250
Group Leader, Accelerator Design and Code Group
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
7000 East Ave., L-645    Livermore CA 94550
email: nelson18 at llnl.gov   http://www-eng-x.llnl.gov/dsed/