PowerEdge 1650 going bang...

Jim Laverty jim at wangtrading.com
Wed Apr 14 09:02:01 CDT 2004

Did the inductor (voltage regulator - little card with a coil on it) burn
up?  Dell had contacted us about this problem a while back, though we had
lost eight servers prior to the notification.  It took a while to get that
smell out of our data center.  Dell replaced the burnt 1650s with 1750s in
our case, within a day or two.

You make want to contact Dell and ask them to review the serial numbers for
your servers.  If I remember correctly the problem only exists for a select
run of Dell 1650s.

Refer to this article:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5145372.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed

This has also been circulating, however this is not the same component I am
referring to and I have never seen the ATI chip melt down on a Dell.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14995
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13771