RAID/NAS/DAS Question.

Rechenberg, Andrew ARechenberg at shermanfinancialgroup.com
Tue Apr 13 16:12:01 CDT 2004

First, how important is performance vs. reliability vs. manageability?

If you want easy manageability (from a hot-swap perspective as well as
transparency to the OS) then look at a couple of PERC cards with a
couple of PowerVault 220S attached to them.  The performance is not
going to be great and we've seen issues with the PERC cards and
PowerVaults on our Windows servers (drives dropping offline).  We had no
issues with the PERC cards and Linux other than performance.

If you want decent reliability with good/great performance, I recommend
throwing some Adaptec 39160s in a PE server and connecting them to a
couple (or 3 or 4) PV220S's and running Linux software RAID10.
Manageability is a little more difficult, but performance should be
great!