DevLabel / JFS FileSystem...

Brad Viviano viviano at geomagic.com
Mon Apr 12 11:20:01 CDT 2004

Gary,
	Thanks for writting back.  When I run:

	mount -U "93de61d5-7f85-481e-bd5b-57748e5ef3c7" /raid2e

it comes back with: "mount: no such partition found".  This was with the
RedHat compiled versions of util-linux-2.11y, I also downloaded, compiled and
tried mount from util-linux-2.11z, and util-linux-2.12pre from kernel.org with
the same results.

I looked at partition_uuid.c inside the get_label_uuid function, the code
dealing with reading the JFS SuperBlock.  Although this is in no uncertain
terms a complete hack, I modifed line 172 (From devlabel-0.46.01):

	if (assemble4le(jfssb.s_version) == 1) {

to be:

	if (assemble4le(jfssb.s_version) == 2) {

Which forces the "else" condition, and I now get this from the newly rebuilt
partition_uuid:

# ./partition_uuid /dev/sde9
93de61d5-7f85-481e-bd5b-57748e5ef3c7

Which is the correct UUID for that volume.  I also modified get_label_uuid.c
in both util-linux-2.11z and util-linux-2.12pre in the same way and mount now
mounts jfs file systems via UUID.  So it seems that either the JFS
"version number" should of been reved from version 1, or the SuperBlock of
the JFS file system is more complicated then get_volume_label allows for, and
needs to be updated (So is this a general Linux problem, or an IBM problem :).
I am not sure what the correct step is in getting this problem fixed.

The hack works for me, and I can now use devlabel on my JFS filesystem, and
it isn't a real concern for me since I don't have any older OS/2 based file
systems on this 2650.  But I would like to report this, or get this fixed in
general since I don't think this is actually a devlabel problem, but a problem
inside of either get_label_uuid from the util-linux package, or whoever is
responsible for maintaining the JFS code.

Does anyone know which group I should report this problem to, or where I can
look to see if its a know issue with JFS file systems.

	Thanks,
		-Brad Viviano