Fedora Core 1 on PE700 shutdown problems

Norman Gaywood norm at turing.une.edu.au
Fri Apr 9 18:11:00 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 05:02:10PM -0500, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> I just installed Fedora Core 1 on a PowerEdge 700 server.
> 1. The machine sometimes hangs when shutting down.  The
> 	last message it prints to the screen is
> 	Unmounting filesystems:
> 	and then it just sits there.  I am running software
> 	RAID with two mirrored drives.  I wonder if the
> 	problem occurs in the RAID software.

This is probably the FC1 SMP kernel problem:

and probably the same bug:

The bugzillas provide several workarounds. The comments at the end of
first bugzilla mentioned above gives hope that this problem will be
fixed soon.

> 2. The machine will not power off automatically when it
> 	does shut down completely.

Can't help with this one.

Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science
University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia

norm at turing.une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 2412
http://turing.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312