Some questions on omsa (Debian centric)

Charlie Orford spam at linuxdsl.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 08:54:01 CDT 2004

Paul wrote:
> It comes in the same package files. I the installed dellomsa suite by
> running start.sh script which fired up the java installer.
> This was done on X windows on SuSe Enterprise server 8. It finished, but I
> did not have a working http 1311 port open
> nor did I have any way to start the ssl webserver (which is ting) according
> to the dellomsa scripts.
>
> Maybe try running the start.sh that comes out the
> om36_lnx_managed_systemA00.tar.gz archive.
> Then run start.sh via X windows (if you can) and that should give you
> omreport, which you use in a shell script via cron to monitor health.
>
> You can also do it via backdoor trick if you don't wanna start X or can't,
> heck we dont run X on production servers, I'm sure other people don't.
> You to give it command line args to do a silent install.
> "./start.sh -license -silent" should do the trick
>
> The only thing I've noticed is that omreport won't get disk stats or health.
> You would have to do that via megaraid or aacraid status in /proc.
>
> Unfortunately the version of megaraid we run doesn't have the functionality
> built in yet, in /proc/megaraid/status/0 we get TBD as a value, which means
> its not yet implemented.
>
> Let me know if I can help further

Thanks for all the info Paul. I will track down
om36_lnx_managed_systemA00.tar.gz and have a play. One thing I have
managed to do is install megamon 3.6.1 and this appears to give me a
little info on disk state etc.

Also, I had a look in /proc/megaraid/hba0

This is what is inside that directory:

-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 battery-status
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 config
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 diskdrives-ch0
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 diskdrives-ch1
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 diskdrives-ch2
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 diskdrives-ch3
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 mailbox
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 raiddrives-0-9
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 raiddrives-10-19
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 raiddrives-20-29
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 raiddrives-30-39
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 rebuild-rate
-r--------    1 root     root            0 Apr  8 14:50 stat

'cat stat' gives:

"Statistical Information for this controller
pend_cmds = 0
IO and error counters not compiled in driver."

Which isn't very informative.

I am still searching for the tool that gives me some decent info.
Nothing yet quite gives me info information. All I want is to be able to
montior the health of my raid array - surely not that hard! :o)

Charlie