Best practices

Russell Stuart rstuart at lubemobile.com.au
Thu Apr 8 00:38:00 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 14:56, Matthew Joyce wrote:
> Well, debian is our linux of choice, we use woody for a few apps /
> webservers, we have some skills with this distro.
>
> I would much prefer Debian Stable, but the developers are asking for
> Java 1.4.1, Postgres db 7.4, Tomcat 4.1.29.
>
> I think I need to go and have a think about this, perhaps we will need
> to use a different distro.

I use Debian too.  My solution to the problem you face was to
back port all the version apps I needed from unstable.  It
took me a month or two - a long while, but I wasn't prepared to
run unstable on production boxes, and I was not going to let
a company like Red Hat force me to jump through hoops again.

Life would be much easier if Debian maintained an "backports"
directory, which just consisted of stuff people back ported
from unstable to stable.  Most of the things seems to have
been backported by someone somewhere.  Finding them is hard
and the quality of what you do find is uneven.
www.apt-get.org is not as useful as it first appears.