NMI received for unkown reason 21.

Tore Anderson tore at linpro.no
Tue Apr 6 07:42:00 CDT 2004

  Hi.

  I had a PE1750 spit the following at me a few days ago:

    kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 21.
    kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
    kernel: Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

  It repeated itself ten minutes later, after which the box rebooted
 all by itself.  NTPd also barfed out.

  I've been running memtest86 for a day now, and no error has showed
 up thus far.  Dell support says "the trouble *could* be the power
 savings settings in the BIOS" (emphasis mine), but as the settings
 are all defaults and I've got six other 1750's from the same
 batch running flawlessly, I higly doubt it.  Personally, I suspect
 they've got no clue and believe the kernel message is something to
 pay attention to.  arch/i386/kernel/traps.c clearly shows that the
 "strange power saving" message is printed for *all* unknown NMIs..

  Anyeay, I can't afford to flip a few settings in BIOS and put the
 box back in production *hoping* it will work - I need to know that
 the problem is resolved before doing so.  So I wonder if anyone on
 this list has had the same problem and resolved it?

  The box is running BIOS version A06.  I've noticed A07 is out, but
 I can't find any changelog anywhere.  Does anyone know what has
 changed between the versions?  Perhaps, if Fortuna is willing, it
 could be something relevant.

--
Tore Anderson