Dell 2650 server candidate recommendation?

Kerry Cox kerry.cox at ksl.com
Fri Apr 2 12:40:59 CST 2004

We have many Dell 2650s that we are using in our production environment,
all of which are runnign Red Hat 7.2 or 9. The licensing agreements have
been of concern to us as well. However, since our developers prefer Red
Hat, as do I, we have been testing some of the RHEL spinoffs. The most
outstanding release based entirely on RHEL AS3 is Fermi Linux LTS 3.0.1.
This is the Department of Energy's Linux version. It looks, acts and
tastes like RHEL AS3. I've upgraded one of our hosting machines to Fermi
Linux along with my own test server and have found it to works better
than some of the other spin-offs, namely Whitebox Linux, CentOS, and Tao
Linux.
This way we keep the Red Hat scheme alive with minimal costs. Fermi Labs
has plenty of bandwidth and are willing to share. I will be setting up a
local yum repository for caching the updates.
One nice thing about their distro is that they have a rolling release so
you can stay on top of the latest patches.
Here are some links to their web site. I find it nice they have been
doing this since Red Hat 5.0 so they do know their stuff.

main page: http://www-oss.fnal.gov/projects/fermilinux/
Fermin Linux page:
http://www-oss.fnal.gov/projects/fermilinux/lts301/index.html
FAQ legalese:
http://www-oss.fnal.gov/projects/fermilinux/common/faq/lts.html

I can't help yet on the SCSI DLT tape drives. But we do have one in
productions and I will be installing Fermi on it soon to test it out.
Fermi Linux stays very current on bug fixes, so there is no problem
there.
Good luck. I hope that helps.
KJ

--