Problem with Power Edge 2650 and RH 3.0 ES

Tadek tadek at epox.pl
Thu Apr 1 10:51:01 CST 2004

> 	I've seen similar symptoms on 2550s and 2650s with the Adaptec based
> raid controllers (Perc3/Di on the 2650).  Briefly what happens is the
> controller takes way too long to respond to an operation (Erroneous
> decision to flush the cache I'm told), all containers on the controller
> are marked offline by the scsi subsystem in the kernel - if the logs
> were visible (which they aren't because your writes will never finish)
> you'd see the kernel complaining as it took each container offline (sda,
> sdb, etc).  It ends up having no root partition, no swap, no log
> partition, etc.  Almost nothing you test will work because it involves
> reading something from the disk.  The kernel continues to respond to
> pings, and likely if you had a simple daemon that didn't access the disk
> running it would continue to work.
>
> 	To work around this:   Firmware rev 3157 for the 2650 Perc3/Di is
> supposed to mysteriously not suffer from this problem.  I say
> mysteriously because apparently there are no changes between 3157 and
> the more recent firmware that would have anything to do with this, but
> the more recent firmware and older firmware revisions do demonstrate the
> problem.
> 	I'll also send along a revision of the aacraid driver from some months
> ago that still hasn't found its way through adaptec, dell or redhat
> testing to my knowledge, that handles timeouts from the controller
> without taking everything offline.  I'll attach in a direct email.  Some
> compiling required.  May only work with 2.4 kernels.
>
> Andrew
Hello,

We haven't PERC controller but we tried to reinstall driver for AIC
7899. We try to switch kernel versions and install third-party driver
(not included in kernel). Finally we try to
install DKMS and Dell driver but all this operations doesn't help.

--
Tadeusz Woch [tadek at epox.pl]

EPOX | Interactive Media House
ul.Krucza 51/81 00-022 Warszawa