Red Hat Enterprise Linux v3 now out

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 31 11:09:00 CST 2003

Quoting Xose Vazquez Perez <xose at wanadoo.es>:

> > I would love to know if RH* Professional is to stick around or not, and if
> > so in what form (box set, convince Dell to sell it, download from RH, etc).

[...]

> more info here:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/software/workstation/
> http://linuxcentral.com/catalog/?prod_code=D000-218
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2003-October/thread.html#00551

Wow!  If that stuff is true, then RH has actually made a better product
at a cheaper price.  Interesting.  Since we've always bought and used
RHL Pro, if this is going to continue and sell for the price shown, then
this is going to give use exactly what we had before at half the price...

Very interesting development.  Not sure how RH expects to make money selling
us a better product at half the price, but none-the-less I'm all for it. ;)

Sure beats all the other options.

> > Which doesn't exist yet, and has no set date for existance (no build
> enviroment
> > yet, etc).  Not an option.  Can't plan on things that don't exist.
>
> There is people working on it: http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy

Yes, I know.  But it doesn't exist.  Last word on the fedora legacy mailing
list was that it doesn't look like there will be a build environment setup
before the December EOL.  So there is no chance to get Fedora Legacy out
the door before RH 7.x dies, from all indications.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!