PowerEdge 1750 - RAID5 - Linux/LVM

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 30 17:44:00 CST 2003

Quoting Stefan Hans <shans at tanagra.de>:

> is it possible to combine a RAID 5 (with 3 disks) on a PowerEdge 1750 with
> RedHat Linux and use LVM (SW-RAID) to make a filesystem snapshot for backup?

Yes, but LVM has nothing to do with SW-RAID.  They are separate.  If you want
to do this with PE 1750 + RH Linux, you need to:

* Run RH 8 or 9, all updates, latest kernel, etc.
* Either use ext2 filesystems, or rebuild the kernel enabling the ext3 lock
  patching code (RH included the patch in the kernel, but didn't enable it).

> If no, what are the possibilities to backup RAID 5 while working?

The usual options.  But I think the LVM route is the best way to go.  I'm
using it without problems (after rebuilding the kernel, since I use ext3).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!