Redhat 7.2 on the LSI u320 (PE1750)

Jason_Mick@Dell.com Jason_Mick at Dell.com
Thu Oct 30 13:42:01 CST 2003

This looks like it should get it done for you.  The SCSI chip is LSI53C1030
Ultra320 SCSI controller.  I checked on LSI Logic's site and there is a
driver for the card. I have never attempted to use it so I have no idea as
to how well it will work.

Driver file: Linuxmpt-2.05.00.zip

Description : Driver update disks for:Red Hat 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 (32 bit and 64
bit), 7.3 and 2.1ASE SuSE 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 Caldera 3.1 and 3.1.1 For Red Hat
8.0 and SuSE 8.1, the user must install using the bundled driver. Upgrades
may be performed using the appropriate RPM.

Available at www.lsilogic.com when you have to select a product just choose
the LSI22320 (320).  That should take you to the driver.  The read me shows
for the 53c1030 controller and has extensive instructions on getting it
installed.

Thanks,
Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt_Domsch at dell.com [mailto:Matt_Domsch at dell.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 1:21 PM
To: dave.oconnor at voxpilot.com; linux-poweredge at dell.com
Subject: RE: Redhat 7.2 on the LSI u320 (PE1750)

> I'm trying to install Redhat 7.2 on a Poweredge 1750 without a PERC/4
> controller (i.e. just the scsi backplane, one disk). The 1650
> had a nice bog-standard aic7xxx backplane, AFAIR, but this new
> controller is giving me some trouble. I've been told the megaraid driver
may work with this
> controller, but am not sure if it will, since it's not a RAID
> controller as such.

Right.  You need the 'mptfusionh' driver, which is the LSI SCSI adapter
driver, not 'megaraid', which is the RAID driver (since you don't have the
RAID controller).

Now the hard part - finding a copy of mptfusionh for RHL7.2 that knows about
the IDs on a PE1750... We've got a driver disk for RHEL2.1 AS posted to
support.dell.com (search for R56758), but not for 7.2.

And so far, no one has generated a DKMS package for mptfusionh, so building
that driver disk by hand is time-consuming.  Can you run RHEL2.1 instead?
:-)

Thanks,
Matt

--