FC RAID array -- One writer, Many Readers?

Jake Gold jake at dtiserv2.com
Thu Oct 30 11:24:01 CST 2003

Hypothetical:

I have a FC RAID array with 5 machines (with FC HBAs) connected to it.
All 5 servers see this "drive" (as a SCSI device - using the QLogic driver).

I want to "serve" (read: read) the same data from all 5 servers, but only allow one server to write to it:

4 servers read-only
1 server read-write

I'm well aware of (and have used) GFS for this exact scenario, but it strikes me as overkill.

And I could, of course, create an ext3 file system on the shared disk. I would be able to mount it properly, but changes to the file system would not be
propagated to the read-only servers. So this is a big problem obviously.

Is anyone aware of something a bit more than a simple file system (or a standard configuration of one, I should say) but less than a full-blown Cluster FS like GFS?

Or maybe another solution to this?

Thanks in advance.

(I'm using Linux on Dell servers, so that's how I rationalize asking this list ;-)
I also could not find any list that seemed more appropriate, but I would welcome a referral.)

--
Jake Gold
Systems Administrator