Red Hat Enterprise Linux v3 now out

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 29 18:46:01 CST 2003

Quoting "McDougall, Marshall (FSH)" <MarMcDouga at gov.mb.ca>:

> I see a lot of people complaining about how RH has treated their customers.

Yes, well, that would be me...

> If you look up the definition of customer, it is someone who PAYS for a good
> or service.

Are you implying I don't?

> Outside of those who have actually bought ES/AS/WS or RH
> support contract, they don't appear to have too many customers.

Uhm, excuse me?  So if I go to the local store and pay about $150.00 a pop
for Red Hat Linux Professional I'm not a customer?  Paying $150.00 a pop
for the OS each time they release a new one makes me less than a customer?
Get real!

> Subsequently, they probably don't care if the people who take their product
> for free can't forecast their businesses with the rapid changes.

How about those of us who buy it?

> You get what you pay for.

So for $150.00 a box, times all the boxes we buy, plus the cost of our
Dell Servers, we deserve bad service?  Come on, get real.

So I never bought RHEL, that doesn't make me a non-customer.