Red Hat Enterprise Linux v3 now out

Darrin Hyrup shades at mythicentertainment.com
Wed Oct 29 12:36:00 CST 2003

There are people who have paid for the software who are not on a support
contract.  For example, we always paid for Red Hat Linux
Professional.  Either the retail boxed edition or the bundled version from
Dell.  Granted, Red Hat may only see half of the $159 we pay for each box
(though with 200+ machines, that does add up), but we're still customers
all the same.  We did this because we wanted to help support Red Hat, but
we didn't want ES/AS/WS and the associated support contracts.  A one-time
$160 fee is much better than any of the other yearly options available from
Red Hat.  I agree that those who only use ISO installs and never paid RH
for anything may not be in a good position to complain, but not all the RH
user base falls into that category.

Best,

-Darrin