Reverse engineer DFDE-packed floppies

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Tue Oct 28 09:04:01 CST 2003

Hello,

I'm planning to reverse engineer "Dell Floppy Diskette Extractor"
packaged floppy disk images, which seem to have replaced Disk eXPress as
Dell's preferred standalone floppy creator utility.

Why? Because I'm a little exasperated that Dell continues to force me to
use Windows in order to get at BIOS updates and other goodies, and I
judge from this list that some other people share this sentiment.

So perhaps you've already done this; perhaps you have experience with
Windows executable packing, symbol tables, and compression formats;
perhaps you work @dell.com and want to help us help ourselves by
releasing the source code to DFDE. I'm hoping this thread will end with
a perl/python/C/anything program to take an .exe file and spit out a
1474560 byte .img file.

I'll post updates as I make progress, but other help is greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil