Linux on Optiplex GX270? (OT)

Jason Lasker lasker at eng.buffalo.edu
Mon Oct 27 07:55:01 CST 2003

We have 5 labs with 100+ Dell GX260(Tower) and GX270 (SFF) running Red Hat
9.  The 260s have ATI cards the 270s have NVIDIA.  Things to look out for
with respect to Linux specifically RH9.

1.  Get the Intel gigabit card  it's easier to deal with.
2.  Some combinations of DVI cards and analog monitors do not behave
properly when the X-server starts.  The best thing is to be consistent with
the connection type, either all analog or all digital.
3.  Make sure your choice of sound card is compatible.

Jason Lasker
Senior Programmer Analyst/Systems Administrator
University at Buffalo
Science and Engineering Node Services
113 Bell Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260-2050