Linux on Optiplex GX270? (OT)

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Mon Oct 27 06:12:00 CST 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Ed Martin wrote:

> I know this is off topic for a PE group, but I bet the answer is out there.  So, sorry for the diversion, I'll keep it short.
>
> We are considering buying some Optiplex GX270 desktops, and would like to run Linux on them.  I know that Dell won't support this.  But is anyone running Linux on one of these?  If so is it working ok?  What distribution/kernel?

dell support linux on the gx270 AFAIK.  RHEL3/WS - i don't know if they'll sell
you RHL9 on it still.  it'd be interesting to ask.

> We'd ideally like to run Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS (v3).  But Red Hat 9 would be OK, also some flavour of Debian.  Or even Mandrake!

RHEL3/WS is your best bet as it supports the SATA drives of the GX270 'out of the
box'.  RH9 may not install on the box but will run with the latest errata kernel
once you have patched the installer.  it appears the default kernel does not support
SATA and the GX270 has no facility to switch the drives from enhanced to legacy
mode for the install process (the workaround in most cases).

regards,

-jason