Linux on Optiplex GX270? (OT)

Ed Martin ed.martin at iop.org
Mon Oct 27 06:00:00 CST 2003

I know this is off topic for a PE group, but I bet the answer is out there.  So, sorry for the diversion, I'll keep it short.

We are considering buying some Optiplex GX270 desktops, and would like to run Linux on them.  I know that Dell won't support this.  But is anyone running Linux on one of these?  If so is it working ok?  What distribution/kernel?

We'd ideally like to run Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS (v3).  But Red Hat 9 would be OK, also some flavour of Debian.  Or even Mandrake!

Thanks in advance.

Yours,

Ed

---
Ed Martin
Head of Systems and Network Performance
IOP Publishing Ltd
Dirac House, Temple Back
Bristol  BS1 6BE
ddi: +44 (0)117 930 1102
www:  http://www.iop.org

>>> "Stefan Hans" <shans at tanagra.de> 24/10/2003 18:39:13 >>>
Hi *,

is it possible to combine a RAID 5 (with 3 disks) on a PowerEdge 1750 with RedHat Linux and use LVM (SW-RAID) to make a filesystem snapshot for backup?

If no, what are the possibilities to backup RAID 5 while working?

tia Stefan

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.