Kernel Message: ISR called reentrantly!!

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu Oct 23 02:08:01 CDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Joe Stevens wrote:

>Recently a couple of our more heavily loaded PE 2600s have started
>getting the following error showing up in dmesg:
>
>ISR called reentrantly!!

If I had to take an uneducated guess, I'd say that one of the driver
functions is being interrupted and called again before a previous
interrupt handler has finished working, hence "reentrantly!!"

>The message appears to be comming from the megaraid.c driver.  The
>machines in question appear to be functioning normally, but is this
>something that I should be concerned about? (or is it something that can
>be fixed with a patch somewhere?)

Suggest you read the source code for the driver and work through what
causes the error. From a quick skim, it doesn't appear to take any
action other than printing the message, so it's probably harmless. As a
side note, I now know why my syslog severities don't work on the kernel
source - there's no severity argument to printk().

Cheers,
Phil