e1000 card won't work in a PE2500, will in a 2600.

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Wed Oct 22 19:48:00 CDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 ard at waikato.ac.nz wrote:

> Hiya folks.  I've got an e1000 card from Dell that won't work in the
> PE2500 it was purchased with in January last year.  It sat in the
> machine unused until a fortnight ago when I gave it a gigabit
> connection and pressed it into service.  It worked for about two days,
> then gave up in the middle of the night.  Now it won't even show a
> link light on a gigabit link or on a 100 megabit link, both of which
> work at 100 megabit when plugged into the onboard e100 in the same
> machine.
>
> This morning I removed power from everything and shifted the e1000
> card to a different green PCI slot in the PE2500.  Still no joy.
>
> Normally I'd just ship it back to Dell.  But now I'm doubting the card
> alone is at fault, because it is working well on a 100 megabit link in
> a brand new 2600.

can you specify what sort of card you actually have ? e.g a pro/1000
what - XT ? XF ? MT ? 32bit ? 64bit ?

there has been a case that _really_ new E1000 cards don't seem to be
recognised or work properly with the default e1000 driver and you have
to download and install the intel e1000 5.X driver from their website.

but it's _really_ bizarre that you're saying the card works ok at 100Mbit
in another server but not at all in this server.

> Most questions like this are answered with "upgrade the firmware."  Do
> e1000 cards have upgradeable firmware?  I didn't find any on dell.com,
> but if you can point me at some I'll definitely jam them on the card.

no, you don't need to upgrade the firmware on your NIC.  i've never
heard of anyone needing to do this before.

> I doubt that this is a driver or BIOS issue, since the problem
> manifests itself when the machine has power but is turned off: if it
> is going to work, it will show link and activity lights even when the
> machine is turned off.  In the 2500, both LEDs are dark on the e1000,
> but it's Christmas on the e100.  In the 2600, it's Christmas on both.

are you plugging this into the same switch port ? same cable/patch lead
in both cases ?

regards,

-jason