Red Hat Enterprise Linux v3 now out

David Chait davidc at bonair.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 22 15:33:01 CDT 2003

Jason,
    I wasn't referring to either architecture specifically, "I prefer they
support whatever Dell ultimately decides to support" would be the most
politically correct way to put it in this forum since the market is still
relatively new. However I agree with you completely. AS is too expensive to
be justified on sub 15k machines. To buy AS for a 2650 basically means you
will fully pay for the machine twice, once for the hardware, and once for
the licensing over the course of the life of the machine (there are those of
us who never use RH's support structure). Especially considering I could put
Windows (*shiver*) on there for $150, that cost to benefit ratio is insane,
however on a more expensive machine it falls more in line. I can stomach ES
with a measure of pain, but I only intend to buy AS for our single 4+CPU
machine.

-David