Red Hat Enterprise Linux v3 now out

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Wed Oct 22 15:17:00 CDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, David Chait wrote:

> Hopefully RH will rethink the limitation of allowing 64 bit on only AS/WS,
> from the web site it seems ES wont be supporting it.

for which platform are you interested in the above ? IA64 or AMD64 ?
in the former case i doubt it but should be a case for getting ES
to support amd64 (aka Opteron) IMHO and we should be telling RH that.

in any case my personal opinion is that the breakup is silly.  it would
look more sensible if it was

o database/clustering/32|64bit where CPU > 2 (e.g 4/8+) - 2.1AS
o general server 32|64bit where CPU < 2                 - 2.1ES
o workstation 32|64bit (or low end/single app server)   - 2.1WS

regards,

-jason