Dell 6300 linux related questions

Mark Roberts vaultdweller at adelphia.net
Tue Oct 21 19:03:01 CDT 2003

Philippe Coupe wrote:
> I just bought a used DELL 6300 on ebay and the box will be delivered this
> tuesday...
> The config is supposed to be  :
> Quad 550MHz Xeon Pentium 3
> 1Gb RAM
> 2x9.1Gb HDD
> 6x18.2Gb HDD
> SCSI RAID (RAID 0,0/1,5 capable)

I purchased a very similar machine off e-bay a few months ago. RedHat 9
has run quite reliably on my 6300. I'm running the latest errata kernel
(2.4.20-20.9) patched to support the SGI XFS file system.

There is one major trick to installing RH on it. You need to specify
'linux expert noprobe' at the boot prompt of the CD. Select 'no' when it
asks if you have a driver disk. At some point, you will need to specify
what devices are in the system. For the on-board SCSI controllers, you
need to pass the option 'aic7xxx=no_probe' to the aic7xxx module. If you
do not, the machine will lock up. After that, you should be able to
proceed through the install normally.

LVM works fine under RH9, except that you will not be able to mount
snapshots of ext3 or any other journaling file system without
recompiling the kernel.

One final note. If you have hardware problems, try moving cards to
different PCI slots. I replaced the PERC II in my system with a PERC3/DC
and was unable to use the on-board SCSI channels until I moved it to a
different slot.